Robbie is flying out tonight on the red-eye to go to a huge family event in Northern California, and being the amazing and generous soul that she is, she INSISTED I take her brand-new, Holiday Mini Sneak Peak for demonstrators Big Shot die to play with because otherwise it would be lonesome at home. Now that I have it, I may not give it back:
I didn’t intend to do anything more than put this Candy Wrapper Box together so that when Robbie returns, I could show her how to assemble the box. Ha! If you don’t have the Big Shot yet, you’d better change the channel, Cherie. Imagine this in Pumpkin Pie with bats and spiders…in Night of Navy covered with stars and snowmen…in Bashful Blue with that cute little onesie rolled around it…you get the idea.
- Cute by the Inch Hostess Level II stamp set
- Melon Mambo and Whisper White card stock; Retired Designer Series Paper
- Regal Rose Classic ink pad
- Big Shot and Candy Wrapper Bigz L die
- Pretty in Pink 5/8″ Satin ribbon; Rhinestone jewels
- Heat tool; hideously messy non-SU glue
- Jewelry tag medium punch, 1″ circle punch
Now don’t go thinking I’m rubbah-dulteratin’ (courtesy of Jan Tink) by using a non-Stampin’ Up! flower. Shannon West showed us these flowers at convention and I’ve been wanting to try them since I got home. I considered taking photos for you but thought I’d better figure it out first…good decision. Shannon used our Sticky Pages to form and hold the ribbon into a flower, and since I didn’t have any Sticky Pagges on hand I decided to use a very sticky clear liquid glue – something similar to what hot glue would be if it were liquid. I won’t name names.
To make the flower, you snip almost all the way through your ribbon at 1/2″ intervals and then use your heat tool to curl up the “petals”. At this point, I discovered my first challenge. Any surface appropriate for holding the ribbon flat in order to blast it with the heat tool was not going to survive the blasting, and my fingers were not either. I ended up warping my old cutting mat (I need a new one anyway, no biggie) because the alternative was holding that ribbon across my lap and believe me, that was not going to happen.
It took a while for the ribbon to heat up, but once it started to curl the edges rolled up quickly and I was on to step 2. I punched a 1″ circle from a scrap of cardstock and covered it with the Glue That Must Not Be Named. Shannon had worked so quickly and smoothly, but she wasn’t dealing with those funny stringy bits of glue – you know the ones. I had to add more and more glue as I worked my way around the circle, mostly because a significant amount of the GTMNBN was at this point stuck all over my fingers. Not only must it Not Be Named, it does Not Come Off of Fingers very well.
The final result is very pretty, especially with that blingy Rhinestone in the middle covering up the messy end bits all covered with GTMNBN. I want to point out that this was my very first attempt at this technique, and I’m sure I’ll get better. I’ll also get some Sticky Pages (#114300, $6.95 for two 12×12 sheets and worth every penny).