I’m not going home for Mother’s Day – it’s a long trip, and there are conflicts I can’t re-arrange. But my heart will be there, and I have a selection of cards that will go to the wonderful women who have mothered me throughout my life. This is one of my favorites:
- Stamps: Flying Home, Thoughtful Banners
- Color Palette: Whisper White, Not Quite Navy, Pear Pizazz, Daffodil Delight, Crumb Cake, Basic Black
- Accessories: Stampin’ Blends, Stampin’ Write markers, Stitched Shapes framelits, Big Shot, Stampin’ Dimensionals, Linen Thread
4 packages of Linen Thread is the acceptable minimum to have in my embellishment drawer – I get nervous if there are fewer than that. It’s my absolute favorite, go-to, never-fail choice to add that little something to a project. It doesn’t add bulk and can be mailed without any concern. I don’t even want to think about it ever retiring.
I love coloring these bird houses. Every time I do it, I choose different elements and different color combinations. I use a combination of Stampin’ Blends and Stampin’ Write markers as the tip of the marker is much finer and allows me to work inside those narrow lines.
Flying Home is retiring – shop HERE to get it before it’s gone.
Ah, I miss those days when May meant my collegians were headed home for a summer with good ole Mom and Dad! (Just to be clear, I DO NOT MISS paying collegiate tuition.)
I’m still trying to use my 2016-2018 In Colors – you’ll see a couple in this project.
- Stamps: Flying Home (Occasions 2018)
- Color Palette: Whisper White, Sweet Sugarplum (16-18), Smokey Slate, Daffodil Delight, Pear PIzazz, Pool Party, Flirty Flamingo (16-18)
- Accessories: Paper Snips, Stampin’ Dimensionals (both sizes), Stampin’ Write Markers, Watercolor Pencils
The bird houses were just a smidge (that is a scientific measurement and it means what it sounds like) too big for the calendar format. After scratching my head for a bit, I came up with the idea of stamping the images in Smokey Slate twice – once on the calendar, and once on a scrap. I fussy cut the houses and lifted them on dimensionals. I was really happy with the way it turned out.
I cut off the rooster weather vane and the little strings on the end of the banner because they were already on the calendar, and they would have been ridiculous to cut out. Even I have my limits.
Cheryl and Crystal have May calendars to inspire you as well – check them out and let them know what you think!
Need Occasions goodies before the catalog ends on May 31? Shop HERE.
Do you think it’s a coincidence that there are HEAPS of great images in the current Stampin’ Up! line that are absolutely perfect for coloring with Stampin’ Blends?
I don’t think it’s a coincidence either. But either way, I’m pretty happy about it.
- Stamps: Flying Home
- Color Palette: Whisper White, Pear Pizazz, Old Olive, Crumb Cake, Pumpkin Pie, Blushing Bride, Daffodil Delight, Basic Black
- Accessores: Big Shot, Stitched Shapes Framelits, Lemon Lime Twist Striped Ribbon, Stampin’ Blends, Stampin’ Dimensionals
I choose to color these images pretty quickly, without a lot of finesse in the shading. I wanted to see what my results would be, and in my humble opinion, it worked out just fine.
It also gives me great delight when I discover that I can “fudge” the color coordination. Lemon Lime Twist, Pear Pizazz and Old Olive are unique and distinct colors, but that Lemon Lime Twist ribbon works perfectly with Pear and Olive. It’s the happy co-existence of different types of fruit, don’t you think?