April Fools! (well, not really – I don’t have a fool)
And welcome to the first of April and our mini-DIY-calendar blog tour! I’m starting to feel anxious about the retirement of the 2016-2018 In Colors (Flirty Flaming, Peekaboo Peach, Dapper Denim, Emerald Envy and Sweet Sugarplum). I’ve used them a lot these past two years, and I’ll miss having them in my color palette. I’m making an effort to use them all I can.
Of course, they’ll still be in my stamp room, but I’ll be stingy with them because I won’t be able to get more paper – or ribbon, or ink refills, or embellishments. Take it from me, you don’t want to wait to stock up on these colors. They often sell out before the end of the catalog!
- Stamps: Petal Palette
- Color Palette: Whisper White, Flirty Flamingo, Lemon Lime Twist, Basic Grey
- Accessories: Big Shot, Petals and More Thinlit dies, Stampin’ Dimensionals, Rhinestone Pearls, Aquapainter, Wink of Stella, Sharpie brand permanent marker
Petal Palette comes as a bundle with the Petals and More thinlits, and you save 10% when you purchase as a bundle. Since this is an Occasions catalog suite (oh, the DSP!!) it will be available as a bundle only through the end of May. If Stampin’ Up! does choose to include Petal Palette in the 2018-2019 Annual Catalog, it more than likely will not be available as a bundle. The message here is buy it now!
Those little birdie eye-bubs aren’t googlie eyes. They’re our Rhinestone Pearls with an eyeball drawn on in Sharpie. They’re the perfect size for these little birds!
Crystal and Cheryl have calendar inspiration for you too – head on over to see what they’ve designed for April. Ready to shop? Start HERE.
February is going to be fabulous – look at what I’ll have on my desk all month!!
I just love their little bellies.
The hearts are from Tabs for Everything and there’s one more large heart that is a solid image. That set is a bit of a sleeper!
Stamparatus has become my GO-TO, who-knew-I-needed-this, favorite tool ever! Well, maybe it’s in a first place tie with the Big Shot, because I don’t like to fussy cut. Getting a perfect, solid image when you mask can be tricky, but not with Stamparatus! Lining up images in a straight line can be tricky, but not with Stamparatus! If you’re not in the reservation queue, put this at the top of your list for the 2018-2019 catalog. I promise, you’ll fall in love!
Crystal and Cheryl have more to share – check out what they’ve done. If you’d like to share your calendar creations with us on Pinterest, please put your Pinterest user name in the comments and I’ll add you to our board.
This classic Adirondak style chair is an invitation to relax:
- Stamps: Colorful Seasons, Timeless Textures
- Color Palette: Very Vanilla, Tranquil Tide, Dapper Denim
- Accessories: Eastern Palace Specialty DSP, Big Shot, Seasonal Layers Thinlits, Stitched Shapes Thinlits, WInk of Stella, Linen Thread
I used THIS tutorial for the criss-cross box template. (Warning: she stamps her own plaid design. I did NOT stamp a plaid, I used DSP. So much easier.)
A package of Green Tea Macnuts fits perfectly inside. They’re aailable at your local ABC store (what? you don’t have an ABC store? They’re on every corner in Waikiki!!)
Lately I’ve found myself needing cards with more generic greetings: hello, thinking of you, that sort of thing. This big HELLO stamp from the Hello Friend set is a design element on its own, but I had a stack of orchids waiting to be used, and the combination was very satisfying:
- Stamps: Climbing Orchid, Touches of Texture, Hello Friend
- Color Palette: Whisper White, Sweet Sugarplum, Wild Wasabi, So Saffron
- Accessories: Big Shot, Orchid Builder Framelits, Swirly Scribbles Framelits, Gold thread, Stampin’ Dimensionals, Tombo, Wink of Stella, Aquapainter
I used the Aquapainter to add a little So Saffron ink to the orchid image, and then used it without any ink to blur and drag color to the stamped areas. Once that was dry, I added a little Wink for sparkle.
The Gold Thread technique that seems to work best for me is to put a Stampin’ Dimensional or Glue Dot on the card front where an image or layer will be applied, and then wind the thread through that adhesive until the arrangement is pleasing. An extra Dimensional or Glue Dot adjacent to the “holder” helps keep everything just where it belongs.
If you earned Bonus Days vouchers in July, be sure you spend them in August! Shop HERE.
I love tropical flowers – a lot! – but in the spring, I miss the spring flowers I grew up with. You know the ones: daffodils, tulips, iris, paper whites…you might be able to grow them in some parts of the island where it gets cold at night, but the heat of the day forces them open way too fast. The markets often have bouquets in the spring, but I suspect they’re flown in, and by the time I get them home they’re already looking like they need a couple of hours in the fridge.
Fortunately, I can enjoy paper flowers all year round without having to pick up the wilted petals:
- Stamps: Basket Bunch, Gorgeous Grunge
- Color Palette: Whisper White, Basic Grey, Mint Macaron, Daffodil Delight, Crushed Curry
- Accessories: Big Shot, Festive TIEF, Wink of Stella Clear, Stampin’ Write markers, retired ribbon, and that Mint Macaron DSP – I think it’s from the Presents and Pinecones DSP from the Holiday catalog, and I’m pretty sure it’s in the Clearance Rack!
The flowers were fun to color – I used Stampin’ Write markers this time – and I was quite pleased to actually capture some of the Wink in this photo!
Basket Bunch, Gorgeous Grunge and the Festive TIEF are all retiring – shop HERE to get yours before they’re gone!
New. There’s so much promise in that word – but there’s uncertainty as well. New is different, fresh, and sometimes uneasy. New is exciting and invigorating, but it is also unpredictable and challenging. I love a new year, a new calendar, a fresh start. I set goals, make plans, and dream big dreams. And I make a brand new DIY Easel Calendar!
- Stamps: Cookie Cutter Christmas, Thoughtful Branches (retired)
- Color Palette: Basic Black, Whisper White, Crumb Cake, Flirty Flamingo, Pool Party, Island Indigo, Blushing Bride
- Accessories: Cookie Cutter Builder punch, Stampin’ Dimensionals, Wink of Stella Clear
I’ve achieved one goal: I already have a post set up for every month of the year in 2017! Crystal, Cheryl and I are continuing our Mini-Blog hop, so be sure to see what they’ve done to begin the year.
If you’ve had your eye on the Cookie Cutter Christmas bundle, you’d better hurry! The stamps and punch will be available separately after January 3rd, but the bundle will be a lost opportunity. Shop the Online Store to get that deal!
If you’ve been thinking you should make a calendar this year, I have just 6 kits left. Email me at AnneMatasci@gmail.com and I’ll send you an invoice.
Happy New Year!
DIY Calendar Refill $6 plus shipping